D&D (Sorta)

OOC Discussions around real life or whatever, really.
E Z Rah

D&D (Sorta)

Post by E Z Rah »

So a couple of years back during the pandemic when everyone was stuck inside a few friends and I decided to give D&D a go. We discovered Roll20 which is basically an online way to play which takes a lot of the hassle out of the game by automating it, creating maps etc. Long story short I decided to try and write and create my own 'post-apocalyptic' 'humans with powers' style story using the D&D engine but played extremely loosely and forgiving so as not to alienate anyone and it meant we could focus on having fun.

If I tried to run something like this again, maybe for an hour or 2 every week or every other week, would anyone be interested? I try and keep the technical stuff to a minimum and just focus on making a well crafted fun story. Could bring some of your created wrestlers along and see how they would fare in a new environment.

Just reply or drop me a message if anyone is up for it and I could look at putting something together.
Jerry David
Site Admin

Re: D&D (Sorta)

Post by Jerry David »

I’d give this a go. I’ve never played D&D, though… so might need talking through it to start with.
E Z Rah

Post by E Z Rah »

Nice! As I said I play fast and loose with the ‘rules’. It’s more about telling a joint story for me.

If we get a couple more people interested we can do a trial session and decide if anyone wants to go on from there
pdbnb

Post by pdbnb »

D&D sounds kind of intimidating to be honest. I also don't like the fact that DMs can just make shit up as and when they want. But I might be down for it, I don't know...
E Z Rah

Post by E Z Rah »

My job is basically to look at it like an improv group and say yes to any suggestions. There are world ‘rules’ that will always apply but it’s up to the group what they do and when. If they want to go off script and eat pizza then fine, but there are consequences, like they might miss their bus or the world might end.

A DMs job is to prepare for what might happen and carefully nudge the group in the right direction for important story beats without ever being in charge of decision making.

You’re more than welcome to join for the intro session and duck out if it isn’t for you
E Z Rah

Post by E Z Rah »

My job is basically to look at it like an improv group and say yes to any suggestions. There are world ‘rules’ that will always apply but it’s up to the group what they do and when. If they want to go off script and eat pizza then fine, but there are consequences, like they might miss their bus or the world might end.

A DMs job is to prepare for what might happen and carefully nudge the group in the right direction for important story beats without ever being in charge of decision making.

You’re more than welcome to join for the intro session and duck out if it isn’t for you
Jerry David
Site Admin

Post by Jerry David »

Oh boy Pedro, you just have rp feds haha.

This sounds like an easy going way to access DND for beginners. Would that be a fair assessment, Kyle? X
THEHopper

Post by THEHopper »

I have actually never played D&D despite growing up when it literally exploded back in the late 70s and 80s
E Z Rah

Post by E Z Rah »

Jerry David wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:34 pm Oh boy Pedro, you just have rp feds haha.

This sounds like an easy going way to access DND for beginners. Would that be a fair assessment, Kyle? X
100%. This is very much 'D&D light', there's no manual or 1000s of pages of lore and spellcasting etc to learn. Everything from movement to attacks is streamlined by doing it online and I try to make sure there's plenty to do so an entire 2-hours session isn't wasted in the same town browsing the local potions shop.

It's more grab a beer, progress the story and decide what you're gunna fuck up this time kinda thing
E Z Rah

Post by E Z Rah »

That's nothing against regular D&D with full immersion and years long campaigns, I just don't have the time or patience for that