DOMINATION 16 . Feedback Thread

Please post all your feedback for the shows here
Keegan

DOMINATION 16 . Feedback Thread

Post by Keegan »

As always, any and all feedback is welcome, but if you're short on time, here are some prompts:

Match of the night:
Segment of the night:
Feud of the night:
Line of the night:

Thanks very much in advance.
pdbnb

Re: DOMINATION 16 . Feedback Thread

Post by pdbnb »

WHITE CHAMPION PRIVILEGE: The MINUTE Keegan told me about his plans for the new title, this segment came into my head, close to fully formed - and I knew I wanted Blair on it. What I WASN'T expecting was for him to take it in a completely unexpected direction (so much so that I IMMEDIATELY had to go write an impromptu reaction segment for it) and make it a million times better. Speaking of which...

WHAT'S IN A NAME?: Completely organic, and written in under half an hour past deadline, because it could not wait two weeks. Thank you, Keegan, for accommodating this.

WE CAN DO THIS, TEDDY: ...so is Doritos feuding with the teddy bear? Is the teddy bear turning heel on Jerry? So many questions! Then again, it IS a Doritos segment...

OPERATION PR STUNNED: That's right, the BoB actually have a storyline! Makes a change from Season 1, doesn't it?

DON'T ROCK THE BOAT: Oooh, Alicia, you little agitator, you! This could get really interesting, really fast.

LA VS EXPRESS: Oooh, burying Donnie Rich, are we? I can see two ways this match will go - and so does The Mark, apparently. Also, whoever that is is correct: Allie HASN'T seen Donnie fight Allie. (Oops... xD) Anyway, the story was what I hoped it would be (the rise of Donny) but the write-up is a bit of a mess, with Freddie 'conspicuous by his absence', then suddenly materializing next to Frank. The action itself is very WCW undercard, with it all being over in about 3-5 minutes, a few high spots, and a better ending than a throwaway match deserves. I personally would have had LAX win here, and prove themselves (especially since Donny is a stain on the sport of pro wrestling, apparently), but hey ho, I'm not the head booker... Nor would I have used this as the opener, but again, not the booker. A decent match, but slightly below GLOBAL's usual standards. Also, where was the interference from PTA? Missed opportunity, there. 2-2.5/5 stars.

INSPIRATION STRIKES - Short and sweet, in and out, does what it has to do. That's what she said.

PRIVATE TRAINING...: Get the pun? Anyway, more Goon Squad training. They seem to be gelling a bit better this time. Marx still won't shut the fuck up. Dann is still grumpy. Flanagan is still silent. Public is still everybody's bitch. Thing One and Thing One are still...there. Miranda Wright does not appear QUITE as furious as usual, though, does she? Also, if you look closely, you can pinpoint the exact moment Public's heart breaks in half.

MACK TRUCK - A wild investor appears! *Pokemon battle music* And his screech is...neverending, it seems. Seriously, somebody press his Caps Lock key. Has he been told it's bad form to SHOUT EVERYTHING when typing online? Jeez! (Real talk, though, I already love to hate this guy.)

SON, WHY DON'T YOU GET A JOB?: Yeah, you tell her, Malta!

MALTA VS SOMNER; Hopefully another win for Malta, who sorely needs a solid run. And that is exactly what he gets, after a very 'early days of RAW' (or Goldberg-style) squash match against a semi-credible opponent (The Health Fanatics were such a thing in SCW, but here, they're so irrelevant I needed a refresher on who the hell Damon Somner was.) Not much to this, aside from calling the Maltese Lock the SECOND most famous submission in GLOBAL - I'd argue it's number 1, probably tied with the Patriot Lock. Anyway, 1.5/5 for nothing particularly bad happening, but nothing particularly good happening either. Which leaves the ending as the best bit...

MALTA VS MATTHEWS: Much more of an actual match here, but between two somewhat irrelevant opponents, so we're back to WCW undercard territory. Still, these two are throwing BOMBS, and it's actually fairly exciting in a no-stakes sort of way, like watching a really well-contested sports game between two teams you have no investment in. You appreciate it for the art. And the art here is good enough to warrant a passing mark. 3/5.
Again, though, the best part is the ending...

YOU'VE BEEN SLIPPING... - Never thought I'd be excited to see Reyn, but here we are in Season 2... I thought he would throw Valorie into the fire, or alternatively, try to recruit Malta for his little coven (or should I say, his Brood? Just kidding, Shae!) but that didn't happen. Oh, well, at least we have an actually somewhat exciting match to look forward to on 17...

NETWORKING ROXX - Let's bring the tone back to lightweight, shall we? Roxx are hiding their pain remarkably well, and making moves towards their future, while also making instant new friends in the way only they can.

THE KID GOES WILD - After last week's star-making performance, I had to have her say SOMETHING. Not much to say about this one, by far my weakest contribution to this episode, but it does what it needs to.

DIRTY GREATS DOING DIRTY GREAT THINGS - Slightly disappointed this wasn't called Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap. Anyway, predictably, we get the lion's share of quotable lines from this episode on just this segment, from Aug's logic as to how people will know they're a tag team to real-life references about people falling through barbershop windows of their own volition. Nice Bro namedrop at the end, as well. I may be biased, but my favourite segment of the night so far.

DIRTY GREATS VS TEAM UNITED - What was poised to be another squash match actually turns into an entertaining contest, with Team United looking a lot better than they have in a while. Predictably, though, once the Dirty Greats get in gear, it's academic. Another relatively short and low-stakes match, but one you would be pleasantly surprised to experience during an episode of television, and the best of the night so far. 3.25/5.

A SURPRISE MAIN EVENT - Ah, yes, the old 'two singles main eventers team up, can they coexist?' trope. Darring totally sells expecting a night off - he sounds tired, and with none of his usual fire. Still, he is a trooper until the end, and this should be a good Main.

FANCY IT? - Another impromptu match that I am actually excited for. Two flippy-doo wrestlers flippy-dooing all over one another? Sign. Me. Up!

ASKING FOR A FRIEND - A follow-up to the Roxx segment from earlier, featuring a cameo from my oldest active character, and some more Robinson family stuff. Hopefully, I've managed to convey it all in just this segment. Although, this was partially written two weeks ago, and that causes a continuity error. This isn't set in September, and Trouble Roxx aren't the Champions. Just pretend you didn't see that. My formatting remains all over the place, too.

SITTING WITH THE BEST - Darren Best speaks, and I feel he should have a little more fire under his belly here. I would, if I was an upper-midcarder and I had just lost to an unknown quantity...

ALFIE VS ANSELL - Yup, that did NOT disappoint. A WCW cruiserweight match in efed form, I could not sum it up better than Lucas did: 'like a late-night snack, that didn't take long, but I enjoyed it.' 3.5/5 stars.

PRIME TIME GOES GLOBAL - Ohhh, Brian was saving his promo fire for the PTA! Got it. Promo of the night so far, and sets up the Main Event perfectly.

PURCELL VS PUBLIC - Wow, Public is getting OFFENCE? And (sort of) a pin?! Holy crap, this was meant to be a one-move victory for PDP! Anyway, another squash match, where the best bit is the promo and tease at the end, where---wait, The Great Wall can TALK?! Anyway, 1.5/5, because I can't rate this any higher than Malta vs Somner just because I 'adopted' Public. Also, Miss Wright is NOT going to be happy...

BURIED VENOM - Valorie has been officially Main Villain'd. Alfie has an anger Button, pardon the pun. They have chemistry together. Can't complain about this segment in the slightest.

GLOBAL AWARDS: BEST RIVALRY - I can't help but feel this should have been placed BEFORE Sean Darring's interview, where these comments were mentioned. Either way, use of the word 'jobber' aside, THIS is probably my favourite thing in the show so far. Holy shit, heel JD is awesome. Truth is also bristling at having been called a jobber, but serves him right.

THE RUTHERFORD GUYS' CELEBRATION - Daniel should NOT have taken this much convincing to shrug that particular monkey off his back, considering he himself wanted to fire him at the end of Season 1. Otherwise, a good segment, with lots of tension in the air (mostly coming from Nikolai).

MAIN EVENT: How did you not see that indeed, Allie. It was, as Lucas himself put it, telegraphed from space. Jerry wrestling like Joe Public's twin brother and never being there in the clutch? Come on now. Schiavone might as well have been in there screeching about 'WHOSE SIDE IS HE ON??' That somewhat detracts from what was otherwise a good match, with some great character work from PTA and some great wrestling from Darring. Still a fitting main event, and one hell of a setup for what's to come. 3.5/5.

MATCH OF THE NIGHT: Tie between the Main Event and Button vs Ansell. Main event takes it because the cruiserweight match really should have gone on longer.
SEGMENT OF THE NIGHT: The Dirty Greats are awesome, but I was the most impressed with Valorie's and Alfie's segment and the PTA and JD promos. Giving it to JD, although Val and Al come in pretty much neck-and-neck with it.
FEUD OF THE NIGHT: X vs Truth and JD vs Darring, especially considering the ending.
LINE OF THE NIGHT: Most of what The Dirty Greats said. Lucas's quip about the midnight snack. 'You could put that collision on NASCAR'. And, for impact if not turn of phrase, X's revelation about Truth.

OVERALL THOUGHTS: A solid episode of television, just like 2 was. Nothing too spectacular match-wise, but the complete opposite in terms of storylines. Holy shit, are we hitting our stride with those this season! If S1 is anything to go by, we will reach our perfect balance within the next two shows, in time to barrel into the PPV with a full head of steam. Special shout-out to Keegan for reverting back to early GLOBAL mode and writing most of the action himself - you're a workhorse, boss man. Also, unrelated, but this had a few TOO many references to other feds and people who are not here...

PEDRO'S RATING: 6.5/5, a few more minutes in each match away from being a 7 or even 7.5. Good show, not great by our standards, but far from awful by our standards either. Most efeds would kill to have a show this good.
Daniel Dream

Post by Daniel Dream »

Match of the night: LA Express vs The Rich Family
Segment of the night: Son, Why Don't You Get A Job? (Technically this and like the next four spot
Feud of the night: Son of Malta vs everyone.

White (Champion) Privilege: John J. Truth changes the International Championship to the American Championship, which makes sense for his character. Although personally, I feel like John J. Truth has become more reliant on cheap heat than when he first debuted. Like he was always racist especially during his feud with El Principe, but just saying that he's using slurs doesn't really add anything to his character or the promo, except for cheap heat.

What's in a Name?: Wait, is John J. Truth's actual last name Goebbels? Like as in the Nazi??

We Can Do This, Teddy: Doritos Man with a creepy but great segment. I imagine these segment as like Dustin Rhodes as Seven.

Operation PR Stunt: Phase One: I love Kelly. And her dynamic with Rupert is great in this segment.

Don't Rock The Boat: Giovanni Ferrari has a great segment, he's actually a great authority figure character for GLOBAL and I'm legitimately invested in his subplot. Especially with how the board of directors have power over GLOBAL as shown by Dream's story with Benedict Beel Zebub.

LA Express vs The Rich Family: Donny was clearly a bit out of his depth, while Trevor and Gage shined in the spotlight, but Declan was there to help Donny put down the impressive rookie tag team. Very good match.

Inspiration Strikes: It seems like Jerry David has inspired Giovanni to put him in the championship picture.

Private Training and Public Humiliation: Another great segment with Miranda Wright and her 'maggots'. Joe Public is set up to have a match, and 'set up' actually might be very accurate to say.

GLOBAL Gets Hit By A Mack Truck - 1: An office segment and we get introduced to 'Maximum Armstrong Calvin Kronk', which is a beautiful name.

Son, Why Don't You Get A Job?: Michelle Miller gets a little too disrespectful, unintentionally, with Son of Malta. I'm excited to see what Son of Malta can do this season.

Son of Malta vs Damon Somner: And I don't have to wait long to see, as Son of Malta gets a dominant win and becomes the first person to get two wins in this season.

Son of Malta vs Greg Matthews: And Son of Malta becomes the first person to get three wins in this season just as I typed that. Son of Malta is on a roll and has clearly made his point he's not the same 'jobber-to-the-stars' guy from last season.

You've Been Slipping...: Alex Reyn challenges Son of Malta and Son of Malta accepts Alex Reyn's challenge. In the span of two segments and two matches on one show, Son of Malta when from a C-tier or B-tier to a main event level competitor. What a turnaround.

Networking Roxx: I like seeing Trouble Roxx and LA Express.

The Kid Goes Wild: Nice segment from Angel Rameriz. I like her slow progression into a more serious character. I wasn't super high on her when Angel and Saul debuted but I'm appreciating her more.

Dirty Greats Doing Dirty Great Things: "Can’t, wanker. Winning tag match!" is going to be my line of the night.

Team United vs The Dirty Greats: Team United is working together well, 'team' isn't in their name for nothing. The Dirty Greats get the win. The Dirtiest, Greatest Finish Ever is a great team finisher name.

A Surprise Main Event: Sean Darring and Jerry David vs Prime Time Athletes? Sounds good.

Fancy It?: Alfie and Ansell having a match. Sounds good too. Lol.

Asking For a Friend (Or Two): A good segment.

Sitting With The Best: Darren Best is interviewed. And like Son of Malta, I can see him having a breakout season in GLOBAL.

Alfie Button vs Ryan Ansell: Alfie beats Ryan in a nice, fast-paced match.

Prime Time Goes Global: A nice 'we are the future' promo by the Prime Time Athletes.

Joe Public vs Edmund Purcell: Edmund Purcell gets a dominant win in a match that honestly couldn't go any other way, but Joe Public's training with Miranda Wright has definitely paid off...a little. Hey, he's at least a "budding wrestler" which is the nicest thing anyone's ever said to Joe Public. Edmund calls out The Great Wall.

Buried Venom: Valorie challenges Alfie, Alfie accepts.

Global Awards: Best Rivalry: Jerry David wins. I think it wasn't a bad choice for Best Rivalry.

The Rutherford Guys' Celebration: My segment with Jeff (Nikolai's handler), I hope everyone liked it.

Sean Darring and Jerry David vs The Prime Time Athletes: I was a bit confused by the end but now I understand it. So Jerry David was purposely sabotaging Sean Darring. I wonder now if Jerry is part of the Prime Time Athletes or if this was a one-time thing to get at Darring, but they celebrated together.
Keegan

Post by Keegan »

WHITE (CHAMPION) PRIVILEGE: Like Darring on the previous episode, there’s only one person to kick this show off and it’s our new International Champion, General John J. Truth. It feels like such a shame not as many people are reading at the moment for this promo alone, because as seen as you see the title, it’s inciting, isn’t it?

So much so, Allie Reece just gets up and walks out. Brilliant commentary in and around the revelation of John’s newfound ‘General’ status.

Fantastic insults regarding the other participants in the match. In fact, throughout. I get this won’t be everyone’s cup of tea, but the handler and character are NOT one and the same, and imagining this scene playing out in a real-life promotion…wow. If The Hart Foundation got the reactions they did in 97, while I still maintain wrestling was hotter then, I can only imagine how a 2023 crowd would react to a character like Truth, but Pedro paints an ugly picture of how it might go down here.

Crusader X is who the fans are living through vicariously, and who they want, and they have a fine closure to easily one of the most controversial (if not THE most controversial – right now, I’m not calling bullshit, but I’m putting it number one) segments in GLOBAL history, quite comfortably and effortlessly. GLOBAL would get a sea of complaints, criticism and the like for this promo, there’s no doubt about that, and you may feel it goes too far or not far enough, depending on your viewpoint.

It is a memorable segment though, and it would take something pretty radical to top that not just this show, but this arc when it comes to standing out.
Wild.

WHAT’S IN A NAME: Sticking with JJT, a natural follow-up to what we’ve just witnessed, and this is mental, not to mention an introduction of a certain Lexi, and her with Truth, backed up by Border Control…fuck me.

WE CAN DO THIS, TEDDY: A nice nudge along from the first segment, though, because I’ve read the finale already, well, I can’t view this piece in the same way as if I were reviewing it when I should have.

OPERATION PR STUNNED: Credit where it’s due, I knew who was going to appear in the segment within a line. We can’t say she’s not distinctive!
Rather than going into everything I liked about it, I’ll just tell you it was my second favourite segment of the night, and the first belongs to the same writer, so Pedro, well done. Kerry is fantastic, the concept behind making Best of British shows awareness, and to open that kind of thing up on Domination is part of my vision, so credit again, coming full circle.

INSPIRATION STRIKES: I really like this, and it’s also pointing fun at the face v face argument, I don’t know whether Scott took that from feedback or what-have-you, but it felt like jibes that worked in the context of the character and story.

PRIVATE TRAINING AND PUBLIC HUMILIATION: It had the right segment title, for sure. A segment that serves everyone, but Miranda Wright, above all, and to me at least, it’s all about her. She comes across as a tyrant, and the type of person you want on your team despite them being a dick, a la Michael Jordan, but you appreciate them when you realise you’re winning matches and how much you’ve improved. She’s got a presence.

YOU’VE BEEN SLIPPING: Alex Reyn’s attitude to a T: Snarky, condescending, and with someone who won’t take it lying down.

NETWORKING ROXX: A good follow-up on our new additions, and Trouble Roxx offering to help LA Express, despite their own defeat, and it’s a lovely layer of extending the GLOBAL universe, sounds weird that, beyond the ring. This segment kills two birds with one stone, or more, because it’s really about the girls rebuilding. This was a great segment.

THE KID GOES WILD: Quite a lot of fire from Ramirez. I look forward to more later.

DIRTY GREATS DOING DIRTY GREAT THINGS: All good here, I adore both characters, and it’s a nice bit of banter between the former rivals-cum-partners.

DIRTY GREATS V TEAM UNITED: Seth doesn’t write bad matches, ever, and this was entertaining for as long as it lasted. You’d expect Dirty Greats to run right through TU, and I would’ve been upset otherwise, but I feel satisfied with what I read.

A SURPRISE MAIN EVENT: …In a sense, yes, it is. This was a good interview.

ASKING FOR A FRIEND: The follow-up from earlier. A brilliant chemistry Coach and Hayley Robinson, ahem, and why I’m more than happy to see more from both. Tremendous dialogue throughout.

PRIME TIME GOES GLOBAL: A big opportunity for PTA, and they don’t miss a beat with a terrific delivery ahead of the main event. Stellar stuff.

PUBLIC V PDP: I love the concept of the latter, and even against Public, I was impressed by his in-ring style and verbal, too. Really looking forward to Seth writing this character more. I’m really high on him. Plus, I like The Great Wall as a first opponent, too, and it all started last season.

BURIED VENOM: Co-wrote it, but I believe Courtney and I thought this went according to plan, and Valorie brought it. Enjoyable to write, and hopefully, to read.

BEST RIVALRY: Late, but great and DESERVED.

THE RUTHERFORD GUYS’ CELEBRATION: I was lukewarm when the segment started, but by the end, I thought it turned out to be a good piece, and I love BBZ as the ‘jilted lover’ still trying to win Dream back, and causing friction in the team, and/or bringing hired guns in to get revenge. He strikes me as that type of guy, and a long-running rivalry between the two managers, like generals commanding two armies, has the potential to be an amazing feud.

MAIN EVENT: Shae had shared some thoughts on psychology that sounded superb, and I’ll get to them later, but when I saw this as a potential main event in the feud planner (yes, some people use them – they’re handy for all concerned) I was more than up for it.

Great selling of David, who probably didn’t get as many votes in the Breakout category as he should’ve got.

Do we really need line breaks for a one-count? There, I said it. I wrote the above before seeing the SECOND.

Some good action and commentary to accompany the tactics and antics, particularly by David, who does seem like the type to build things up, only to be anti-climactic. A bit like the handler in the b-athroom?!
Anyway, some fantastic spots, admittedly, and a fine main event. Not every outing can be SOTY, not even from Shae, and it told a GREAT story while moving on each wrestler involved in some way, so it ticked all the boxes coming in, and of course, contained a surprise outcome, I feel.

Overall Thoughts: While I wasn’t as high on this as I was on 15 (demonstrated by me writing just over half what I did for the previous edition,) it was still a good turnout, with memorable moments here and there, more so in the segment column than matches, which disappoints me somewhat, but I’m still happy with the start to the arc.

Best Match: Main event. PTA are a great team at the best of times, but what a couple of shows for them.

Best Segment: The opener – it has to be, right? It might take some stopping across the arc, let alone the show.

Best Feud: Again, I’m not sure. JJT v Crusader X, though, takes the biscuit for me.
Alex Reyn

Post by Alex Reyn »

Match of the night: Alfie Button vs. Flyin' Ryan. Absolutely loved the action in this match.

Segment of the night: The opener. Specifically, X cutting Truth DEEP by using his real name. First time we've seen someone genuinely get Truth on a personal level.

Feud of the night: Truth and X. All down to that segment and the follow up.

Line of the night: Truth's name.